In Canada laws exist for the practices of debt collection. Normally bill collectors will ‘push’ these laws to get money.

It most cases I recommend debts that are over the Provincial Statute of Limitation, to tell a collector that you are ‘disputing the debt” and to not contact you over the phone again.

If a collection ignores you, makes threats or continues phone harassment, then file a complaint with your province.

The following is the contact information for filing a complaint for each Province is Canada.


If you are an Alberta resident and you wish to make a complaint you can do so online, or by mail or by fax. To make a complaint online go to, complete the Online Consumer Complaints Form, and submit online.

Alberta residents can also mail or fax a complaint to the following offices:

For residents with a (780) area code

Service Alberta

North Field Services, Licensing

3rd Floor, Commerce Place

10155 102nd Street

Edmonton, AB  T5J 4L4

Fax: (780) 422-9106

For residents with a (403) area code

Service Alberta

South Field Services, Licensing

301, 7015 MacLeod Trail South

Calgary, AB  T2H 2K6

Fax: (403) 297-4270

British Columbia

British Columbia residents wanting to make a complaint should do so, in writing, completing a General Complaint Formavailable at On the homepage, under Consumer Protection click on Download the Complaint Form. B.C. residents can print this General Complaint Form, complete it, sign it, and forward it to the following office, together with any supporting documentation:

Business Practices and Consumer Protection Authority

Attention:  Inquiry Centre

PO Box 9244

Victoria, BC  V8W 9J2

Toll Free:  1 (888) 564-9963

Fax: (250) 920-7181



Manitoba residents wishing to make a complaint, should do so in writing, by mail, fax, or e-mail to the following office:

Consumer’s Bureau

Government of Manitoba

258 Portage, Rm 302

Winnipeg, MB R3C 0B6

Tel.: (204) 945-3975

Fax: (204) 945-0728


New Brunswick

New Brunswick residents wanting to make a complaint can do so by telephone, mail, fax or e-mail at the following office:

Department of Justice and Consumer Affairs

Government of New Brunswick

440 King Street, King Tower, Rm. 649

Fredericton, NB  E3B 5H8

Tel.: (506) 453-2659

Fax: (506) 444-4494


Newfoundland and Labrador

Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador wishing to make a complaint should do so, in writing, by mail, fax or e-mail, to the following office:

Consumer Affairs Officer

Department of Consumer Affairs

Trade Practices Division

Department of Government Services

Government of Newfoundland and Labrador

5 Mews Place

St. John’s, NL A1B 4J6

Tel.: (709) 729-2660

Fax: (709) 729-6998


Northwest Territories

Residents of the Northwest Territories can make a complaint by contacting the following office:

Senior Policy Advisor

Consumer Services

Department of Municipality and Community Affairs

Government of NWT

Suite 400, 5201 50th Avenue

Yellowknife, NT X1A 3S9

Tel.: (867) 873-7125

Fax: (867) 873-0609


Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia residents who wish to make a complaint should do so online This webpage is titled “Consumer Information – Resolving Consumer

Issues”. You need to scroll down to the bottom of this page and click where it says “To submit a consumer complaint please click here“. If you scroll down on the next page there is a form titled CONSUMER COMPLAINT FORM which you can fill out online and then submit online.

Nova Scotia residents can also telephone Service Nova Scotia for assistance with a complaint at (902) 424-5200 or toll free at (800) 670-4357.


Nunavut residents wishing to make a complaint should submit a written complaint using a form available from the following office:

Mr. Silas Arngnanaaq

Acting Senior Officer

Department of Community & Government Services

Government of Nunavut

267 Qaiqtuq Building

P.O. Box 440

Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0

Tel.: (867) 793-3315

Fax: (867) 793-3321



Ontario residents can make a complaint by telephone or online. Residents can make a complaint by calling the Ontario Consumer Services Bureau at (416) 326-8611 or toll free at (800) 889-9768. Ontario residents can also, complete the online Complaint Form, and then submit it online.

Prince Edward Island

PEI residents who wish to make a complaint can contact the following office by telephone, by mail, by fax, or by e-mail:

Ms Linda Peters

Compliance Officer

Consumer Services Division

Office of the Attorney General

Government of PEI

Shaw Building, 95 Rochford Street

Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Tel.: (902) 368-5653

Fax: (902) 368-5283



Quebec residents who wish to make a complaint should contact their local Consumer Protection Office (Office de la protection du consommateur).

Montréal (514) 253-6556
Québec (418) 643-1484
Trois-Rivières (819) 371-6400
Saguenay (418) 695-8427
Gatineau (819) 772-3016
Sherbrooke (819) 820-3694
Saint-Jérôme (450) 569-7585
Ailleurs au Québec 1 888 OPC-ALLO (1 888 672-2556)


The Saskatchewan Protection Branch suggests you call their staff toll free at 1 (888) 374-4636 or in Regina at (306) 787-5550. If the staff recommends that you file a formal complaint then you may make a written complaint using theCOMPLAINT FORM available at On the home page click, on the left-hand side of the page click on Forms and on the next page click on Consumer Complaint Form. On the next page you can click on the button marked “Open Form“. After you have opened the COMPLAINT FORM you can print this form and then complete it.

You can send your completed COMPLAINT FORM and any supporting documentation, by mail or by fax, to:

Consumer Protection Branch

Government of Saskatchewan

1919 Saskatchewan Drive, Suite 500

Regina, SK  S4P 4H2

Fax: (306) 787-9779



Yukon residents who wish to make a complaint should contact the following office:

Ms Roberta Allen

Consumer Relations Officer

Yukon Government Community Services

Consumer and Protective Services


Third Floor, 2130 2nd Avenue

Whitehorse, Yukon  Y1A 5H6

Tel.: (867) 667-5360

Fax: (867) 667-3609